[Evergreen-dev] Record Loading Speed

Morgan, Michele mmorgan at noblenet.org
Fri Aug 6 18:03:44 EDT 2021

We've been looking at record loading speed, specifically records with
located uri's. We do a big business in electronic resources, and expect it
will only increase.

We currently load the records using Vandelay via the client. I know there
are scripts available that others have kindly shared and we're looking at
scripting the loads.

We've been monitoring the vandelay session tracker in the database and have
found that records with 1 uri take on average 2 seconds to load, 3 uris
take on average 4 seconds, 10 uris take on average 12 seconds. We are
running postgres 9.6.

I know Jason Stephenson is testing newer versions of postgres and finding
the loading even slower.

There are so many database triggers that run when a marc is updated, and we
are wondering if efficiency could be improved in some of the functions.
Does anyone have ideas about avenues to make the processing more efficient?
--
Michele M. Morgan, Technical Support Analyst
North of Boston Library Exchange, Danvers Massachusetts
mmorgan at noblenet.org