[Evergreen-dev] Empty OSRF gateway responses from missourievergreen.org and poisoned app cache

Jason Boyer jboyer at equinoxinitiative.org
Mon Jan 11 10:26:47 EST 2021

Hi Ken, missourievergreen.org <http://missourievergreen.org/> is returning more consistent results this morning but I’ve seen indications that Jabber errors at certain points along the communication chain can cause this kind of result. That’s definitely an Evergreen bug.

As for thoughts on caching, one potential option is to discard completely empty results like these (except for special cases where they make sense, perhaps.) But even for open-ils.search.biblio.record.mods_slim.retrieve the value returned could change if staff edit the record so entries shouldn’t live “forever." Are you using a cache that discards entries after a period of time, or at a certain storage size, or some other method? (I’m not really familiar with the options on Android, I assume it has some APIs that help manage cached values.)

Jason

--
Jason Boyer
Senior System Administrator