[Evergreen-dev] Terminology Friday: "ingest" and "reingest"

Galen Charlton gmc at equinoxoli.org
Fri Oct 15 16:52:40 EDT 2021

Hi,

Following up on something that came up during a CWG meeting today, I
propose that we make the following changes to Evergreen jargon:

"ingest" => "index" (as a verb)
"reingest" => "reindex"

"Ingest" and "reingest" have more common connotations of importing or
reimporting data, while "indexing" and "reindexing" are more commonly used
to express the concept of creating or updating indexes. In particular,
"reindexing" is often used in ILS and library discovery interface contexts.

While of course one can continue to ingest data into Evergreen, or drop it
and reingest it, updating indexes following a change to the indexing
(and/or attribute) definitions is an action commonly called for in the
documentation, particularly as part of upgrades.

I suggest that the change be done at the documentation level rather than
updating API names. Of course, that would leave "pingest.pl" as an anomaly
that may not be worth quickly changing, but I would also be willing to do
the legwork to change its name to reindex_evergreen or the like.

Regards,

Galen
--
Galen Charlton