[Evergreen-dev] Expanded Concerto Dataset Management

Galen Charlton gmc at equinoxoli.org
Mon Oct 25 15:56:07 EDT 2021

Hi,

On Mon, Oct 25, 2021 at 10:39 AM Bill Erickson via Evergreen-dev <
evergreen-dev at list.evergreen-ils.org> wrote:
> We could create SQL files from the sample data, similar to the existing
concerto data.  That would
> be a bit of a project.

Agreed, this would be a lot of work, but this would be my preference to
avoid potential issues of the schema version of the seed data not matching
the schema of the release branch that it's embedded in. Or rather, there
might be a schema divergence, but it would generally be immediately
apparent whenever the test data is loaded - and signal that the test data
SQL would need to be updated.

Also, maintaining the test data in this fashion would more readily turn up
bugs around inserts and MARC record indexing, whereas just doing pg_dumps
and pg_restores might hide such bugs.

> Ideally, whatever we choose will allows us to continue adding seed data
without it being
> super complicated to those adding the data.

I think a lot would depend on how much we can script generating SQL files
from the source test database. I would also suggest putting a bit of
structure around the process, e.g., merging in test system data quarterly,
not at just any time.

Regards,

Galen
--