[Evergreen-dev] Thoughts on experimental OpenSRF config format change

Mike Rylander mrylander at gmail.com
Fri Nov 4 13:22:55 EDT 2022

Hi Bill,

First, thanks for moving this forward!

(unfortunately?) Right off the bat, I'm /really/ not liking the idea
of merging application settings (opensrf.xml) into initial connection
settings (opensrf_core.xml).  If anything, I'd prefer to see the
application settings move farther away from the file system, somehow,
rather than have to spray that info all over the place -- right now
application config only /has/ to be colocated with the
opensrf.settings app, but it looks like this would require it
everywhere and in potentially only-very-slightly-different files
(differences of service assigned, or service settings, per host) that
would be difficult to troubleshoot.

Setting, er, application settings aside, though, I /do/ like the idea
of restructuring configuration files to be simpler (or at least more
modern).

(Ironic historical note: the original config file format was an
enhanced "INI" style, with named section links (even section nesting),
file includes, and typed values -- a lot like yaml today, but without
the whitespace as syntax part.)

I need to look at your example in more detail and do some more
noodling on the implications, but to answer your question about
"multi-server bricks", yes, we do and will still need that.  There are
significant (read: cost-impacting) situations where one needs to run
more horizontally scaled instances of service X than they need for Y,
and in those cases running extra Ys is a waste of resources. I believe
this comes back to "should one 'domain' be able to know about more
than one instance of a service" -- and the answer to that is yes, we
need that.  In fact, if you have the concept of a router (even if it's
really just a redis stream now), and you support cross-domain
registration, it seems like it would be extra work to /disallow/
multiple domain-local instances of a service.

Thanks again for working on this! I hope to have some time to dig into
this in the next week or two.

--
Mike Rylander
Research and Development Manager