[Evergreen-dev] Recommendations for Postgresql version for EG3.9 and 3.10?

Jason Stephenson jason at sigio.com
Tue Nov 22 14:03:21 EST 2022

On 11/22/22 12:13, Josh Stompro via Evergreen-dev wrote:
> Hello, for those of you that have recently upgraded to 3.8 and 3.9 in
> production, what version of Postgresql are you running?  Did you go with
> PG 10?

CW MARS have not upgraded to 3.8 or 3.9, but we're using Pg 10 in
production still.

> With EG 10 being no longer supported by the Postgresql community for
> security or bug fixes, I'm just looking for guidance.  I see that there
> is a bug for removing EG10 support, and adding EG15 support out there.
>
> Maybe 11, but then that just gains me a year of bug fixes since PG 11
> will be out of support Nov 2023.  PG 14 would give me 4 years of
> support, but I don't know if it has been tested enough.

I've been using Pg 14 for all of my development and testing VMs with
Concerto for the past year with no real issues.  I also ran Pg 14 as my
main test instance with production data for a few months, again without
any noticeable issues.

I suggest giving Pg 14 a try in production. It's the only way that we're
really going to find all of the issues and someone has to go first.

I don't recommend Pg 11 through 13. While they have fewer changes, they
are also less well tested as far as I know.

I am working on getting Pg 15 compatibility going. In fact, I just ran
build-db.sh on Pg 15 to see what blows up.

HtH,
Jason