[Evergreen-dev] Changing branch name "master" to "main" at the conference

Jane Sandberg sandbergja at gmail.com
Wed Oct 26 10:01:30 EDT 2022

Hi colleagues,

Yesterday morning in the hackaway, we discussed changing the name of
Evergreen's default branch from "master" to "main".  I heard a few main
points in that discussion:

* We generally support making this change.
* We'd like to cause as little disruption as possible when making this
change.
* As one example, we might provide a shell script for folks to get their
local copies of the repo updated.
* We'd like to plan this work now (including tracking down dependencies on
the "master" branch name), and do the work when we're in the same room at
the next Evergreen conference.
* We'd like to continue the discussion and start planning on the dev
mailing list.

So, dev mailing list discussion starting now! :-)  Please respond with
anything I missed from yesterday's discussion, considerations about this
change, etc.

Warmly,

   -Jane