[Evergreen-dev] Thoughts on db upgrade scripts

Jason Stephenson jason at sigio.com
Tue Jun 13 12:15:41 EDT 2023

Hi, all.

Having read Mike's reply, I want to walk back my previous email.

Now that I've taken a bit of time to reflect on things, I think it would
be better for upgrades to fail rather than to use if not exists.  The
user could be looking at a situation where they have customized the
database to the point where the field or index exists, but it does not
match the definition being added by the upgrade script.  In these cases,
the upgrade should fail and preferably fail loudly.  I think it would be
too much to ask our upgrade script writers to add code to validate the
schema of new columns, indexes, etc.

If someone modifies their local Evergreen installation, then perhaps the
onus should be on them to keep up with the changes?

Cheers,
Jason Stephenson