[Evergreen-dev] [Evergreen-general] Untranslated column headers in the staff client - how to proceed?

Galen Charlton gmc at equinoxoli.org
Wed Feb 21 18:29:50 EST 2024

Hi,

Upon checking, POEditor is not involved. Labels from the IDL are translated
via Launchpad - for example,
https://translations.launchpad.net/evergreen/main/+pots/fm-idl.dtd/cs/+translate
.

The way that the mechanism is supposed to work is that a version of
fm_IDL.xml is produced that uses XML entities. In the tarball, that version
gets produced as Open-ILS/web/reports/fm_IDL.xml. The translations are
written to DTD files, e.g., ./Open-ILS/web/opac/locale/cs-CZ/fm_IDL.dtd in
the tarball.

The entity version of fm_IDL.xml goes in /openils/var/reports; the DTD
files for each desired local goes in /openils/var/web/opac/locale/$LOCALE,
e.g., /openils/var/web/opac/locale/cs-CZ/fm_IDL.dtd.

The entity version of fm_IDL.xml includes the following line to select the
right DTD to load the translation dynamically:

     <!--#include virtual="/opac/locale/${locale}/fm_IDL.dtd"-->

For a single-language site, "${locale}" could be replaced with a single
locale value.

As far as I can tell, the I18N instructions during the release process are
doing the right thing; what's missing is effective documentation or
installation tools to automatically install the right stuff. What we have
at the moment is this email, this [1], and some content on the wiki that
doesn't discuss the IDL translation in particular, as far as I can tell.

So, the components are present, just, to put it politely, underdocumented.

[1]
https://docs.evergreen-ils.org/docs/latest/reports/reporter_add_data_source.html#_add_a_new_class_to_fm_idl_xml_for_your_data_source

Regards,

Galen