[Evergreen-dev] Proposal: add release note one-liners to commit messages

Galen Charlton gmc at equinoxoli.org
Thu Jan 4 13:30:39 EST 2024

Hi,

On Thu, Jan 4, 2024 at 9:26 AM Josh Stompro via Evergreen-dev <
evergreen-dev at list.evergreen-ils.org> wrote:
> Would this also be a good time to include an official git commit
> template file to add inline documentation for evergreen commit messages?

I think this is a good idea.

> And include setting up the commit.template in the Evergreen Git wiki page
as part of the quick start.
> https://wiki.evergreen-ils.org/doku.php?id=dev:git

I poked around a bit and learned that the commit.template setting, if not
an absolute path, is interpreted as relative to the root of the repository.
That means that we could make the template part of the source tree, which
would avoid any need to copy-and-paste it and make "official" changes to
the template subject to the same review process as code. (The wiki page -
or any future CONTRIBUTING document - would still need to have instructions
on running `git config commit.template ...` appropriately.)

Regards,

Galen
--
Galen Charlton