[Evergreen-dev] Proposal: add release note one-liners to commit messages

Galen Charlton gmc at equinoxoli.org
Wed Jan 31 14:36:26 EST 2024

Hi,

On Wed, Jan 3, 2024 at 11:27 AM Galen Charlton <gmc at equinoxoli.org> wrote:
> Inspired by recent discussion about improving the ease of writing
> release notes - as well as some friction I'm already running into
> dealing with merge conflicts on miscellaneous.adoc when doing
> patch review - I'd like to propose a convention for adding brief release
> notes entry to the commit messages.

Following up on the discussion during this month's IRC development meeting,
I've created a new utility to grab release note entries from Release-note
tags in commit messages. The tool also extracts contributor and sponsor
information.

For details, please see https://bugs.launchpad.net/evergreen/+bug/2051874.

Regards,

Galen