[Evergreen-dev] Redis relicensing

Galen Charlton gmc at equinoxoli.org
Thu Mar 21 09:08:09 EDT 2024

Hi,

Redis Ltd. has announced that future versions of Redis, starting with 7.4,
will have its license changed from the 3-clause BSD license to a
dual-license:

* Redis Source Available License v2 (RSALv2)
* Server Side Public License v1 (SSPLv1).

Neither of these are open source licenses per the OSI or free software
license, nor are they accepted by Debian.  It is also currently unclear to
me whether clause 13 of the SSPL would present an actual problem for
entities that host Redis as a component of hosting Evergreen.

The relicensing announcement was made only yesterday and I have not yet
seen a response from the Debian maintainer of the redis packages, but an
RFP to package KeyDB (a Redis fork) did show up [4].

Note that at present I do not know if KeyDB will serve as a drop-in
replacement of Redis for OpenSRF's purposes, although they state that they
aim to preserve upstream compatibility (and deliver better performance).
They do operate a PPA for Debian and Ubuntu packages.

That said, it may be premature to write off Redis itself, but we will
clearly need to keep an eye on the licensing situation.

[1] https://redis.com/blog/redis-adopts-dual-source-available-licensing/
[2] https://redis.com/legal/rsalv2-agreement/
[3] https://redis.com/legal/server-side-public-license-sspl/
[4] https://lists.debian.org/debian-devel/2024/03/msg00275.html