[Evergreen-dev] Redis relicensing

Ryan Eby ebyr at aadl.org
Fri Mar 29 09:43:27 EDT 2024

Sending to the list for prosperity, but LWN had a nice roundup of the situation since things have evolved:

https://lwn.net/Articles/966631/

Since it is subscriber content, I'll summarize a couple of things.

- While KeyDB can be used as a drop-in for basic usage, it lacks many 7.x+ features.

https://lists.fedoraproject.org/archives/list/devel@lists.fedoraproject.org/message/57UJNMSW7NZVRMO7VRJ4A5X7BESXFHLS/

- The Linux Foundation has endorsed Valkey, which was just forked by redis contributors with the latest OSS code, so will be an up-to-date fork.

https://www.linuxfoundation.org/press/linux-foundation-launches-open-source-valkey-community

>From various distro discussion groups, it sounds like most will be going with Valkey now that it exists, once it has tagged releases. And since it hasn't diverged yet, it should be a true drop-in replacement.

Eby

On Thu, Mar 21, 2024, at 9:08 AM, Galen Charlton via Evergreen-dev wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Redis Ltd. has announced that future versions of Redis, starting with 7.4, will have its license changed from the 3-clause BSD license to a dual-license:
>
> * Redis Source Available License v2 (RSALv2)
> * Server Side Public License v1 (SSPLv1).
>
> Neither of these are open source licenses per the OSI or free software license, nor are they accepted by Debian.  It is also currently unclear to me whether clause 13 of the SSPL would present an actual problem for entities that host Redis as a component of hosting Evergreen.
>
> The relicensing announcement was made only yesterday and I have not yet seen a response from the Debian maintainer of the redis packages, but an RFP to package KeyDB (a Redis fork) did show up [4].
>
> Note that at present I do not know if KeyDB will serve as a drop-in replacement of Redis for OpenSRF's purposes, although they state that they aim to preserve upstream compatibility (and deliver better performance). They do operate a PPA for Debian and Ubuntu packages.
>
> That said, it may be premature to write off Redis itself, but we will clearly need to keep an eye on the licensing situation.
>
> [1] https://redis.com/blog/redis-adopts-dual-source-available-licensing/
> [2] https://redis.com/legal/rsalv2-agreement/
> [3] https://redis.com/legal/server-side-public-license-sspl/
> [4] https://lists.debian.org/debian-devel/2024/03/msg00275.html