[Evergreen-general] ILS Conversion Justification Questions

Rogan Hamby rhamby at equinoxinitiative.org
Tue Nov 10 14:09:00 EST 2020

Hi Wendell,

Full disclaimer: I work with Equinox but I'm responding with my community
hat on.  This also went to my spam so I'm hoping that if I respond that
will help boost your message for wider visibility in case it went to spam
for others.

Addressing:  "What I need is justifications/reasons to convert to an open
source ILS from a proprietary system.  What are the advantages, both
theoretical and real world and the potential pitfalls?  Has making such a
conversion saved you time and effort in administration and operation of the
system?"

There is a fair bit of literature out there on this, some of which
specifically addresses Evergreen and the community but my thoughts in
bullet point form are:

* Security.  We have to take on faith that closed source ILSes are securing
the privacy of our patrons.  Because of open source transparency that is
not the case here.
* Support Mobility.  If a given host ends up not working out for you for
some reason it is not hard to move your system to a new support hosting
company, something impossible with closed source without a full migration.
There are real-world examples of this.
* Input on features.  This gets a little fuzzier but input with traditional
vendors on feature sets is based purely on a cost-benefit ratio.  In the
open-source world, even if you aren't directly employing coders there are
ways to contribute to and influence things.

I'm sure there are other things as well but those are off the top of my
head and something to hopefully get discussion rolling.