[Evergreen-general] How to refund a deposit

Cerninakova Eva cernin at jabok.cz
Mon Feb 1 02:00:00 EST 2021

Hi Michele,

thanks a lot for your comments.

In the meantime, I also started testing the working procedure using the
Void billing option.  This workflow has few advantages that I find very
useful and I believe this is  the right way  for us:

   - The deposit record is retained and the refund of the fee is indicated
   in the patron payment history, as you can see in the attached screenshot
   (deposit - voided.jpg).
   - It is not necessary to keep payments for the deposit separately from
   other payments, because both the payment and the return of the deposit are
   reflected in the cash reports.
   - Payment of the deposit and its refund are also included in the
   detailed list of cash payments in our recurring  cash report output.

For those who are interested, I enclose a few details about the workflow:
When deposit should be refunded,

   1. Go to *Bills* interface in the patron account,
   2. Open the bill *History*,
   3. Look up the deposit bill and open *Full details*.
   4. Switch to *Details* pane
   5. and choose the *Actions* > *Void Billing*
   6. Once the deposit bill has been voided, a negative amount (that
   corresponds to the amount of the deposit paid) is automatically charged to
   the patron account.
   7. Now it is possible to refund the payment in the patron *Bills*
   interface.  Just an additional note: It might be a good practice to add a
   payment comment when refunding.

For the sake of completeness I still want to add, that I have found  this
approach involves  disadvantages too (none of this may be an unbeatable
problem, but it can still be a complication in some cases):

   - The VOID_BILLING permission is required to void the deposit bill.
   Considering that  it may not always be desirable to grant this permission
   to circulating staff, the  possibility of  adding  manually a negative
   amount to a bill  would be probably an easier solution (this was possible
   in the XUL client, as I remember),
   - If Void billing is used, the "Change Given" information on the payment
   receipt shows an amount that is twice the amount paid as a deposit (e.g. if
   the $0.05 deposit has been paid, the receipt shows Change given: $0.10, see
   the attachment "payment receipt.jpg"), which might be confusing.

Eva

Mgr. Eva Cerniňáková

vedoucí Knihovny Jabok

Jabok - Vyšší odborná škola sociálně pedagogická a teologická

+420 211 222 409 <+420+211+222+413>

cernin at jabok.cz <propagace at jabok.cz>

knihovna.jabok.cz <https://www.jabok.cz>

Salmovská 8, Praha 2, 120 00