[Evergreen-general] The #Evergreen IRC Channel is Moving! Come Along With Us.

Jason Boyer JBoyer at equinoxOLI.org
Wed Jun 9 16:39:56 EDT 2021

This is my last all-lists spray of email for the foreseeable future, apologies if you’ve gotten an excess of mail from me today.

At the June developer meeting[1] it was decided to move the official Evergreen community IRC channel from Freenode to the new Libera.chat service. The goal is to have this move completed by Tuesday, 6/15 and the Freenode channel closed shortly thereafter.

What does this mean for me?
If you use the #evergreen IRC channel to stay in touch with other Evergreen users you'll need to change your IRC client to connect to #evergreen on irc.libera.chat instead of chat.freenode.net. Libera.chat has a great guide to getting connected at https://libera.chat/guides/connect <https://libera.chat/guides/connect> . You can also ask for help here on the mailing lists if needed.

I would also recommend registering your nickname to prevent others from using it. Libera also has a guide for that at https://libera.chat/guides/registration <https://libera.chat/guides/registration> . (It's the standard NickServ setup for those already familiar and they also support TLS cert auth.)

Don't use IRC? Now's a fine time to start and you don't have anything to move! You can use the guides above to join the channel and see what's going on in the larger Evergreen community. This is where open discussions between users, admins, and developers take place, along with the developer, documentation interest group, and other community meetings. Come check it out!

Jason

Footlinks:
[1]  http://evergreen-ils.org/meetings/evergreen/2021/evergreen.2021-06-08-15.00.html <http://evergreen-ils.org/meetings/evergreen/2021/evergreen.2021-06-08-15.00.html>

--