[Evergreen-general] Evergreen ILS version upgrade instructions

Jason Stephenson jason at sigio.com
Tue Mar 9 07:12:36 EST 2021

Hello, Jayaraj!

Here's the upgrade instructions from the 3.5 documenation:

https://docs.evergreen-ils.org/docs/3.5/_upgrading_the_evergreen_server.html

If you have no local customization, those steps should work for you. It
you do have local customization, you'll have to update your
customization for the new release before you upgrade.

Also, because you are on 3.0.13 and there's no direct database upgrade
path from 3.0.13 to 3.1.0 or later releases, I'll also recommend that
you build a custom database upgrade SQL script. I have made a Bash
script to assist with that process. It's available here:

https://gist.github.com/Dyrcona/00bd6b6290b6fbbb579c7f93b360ab0d

It was originally extracted from the script that developers use to build
release tarballs and has a few extra features to make it more useful.

It is intended to be used from a local git repository. You'll want to
check out a new branch based on rel_3_5_3, and then run the script. Here
are some sample commands, assuming that you have cd'd into you local git
clone of Evergreen:

git checkout -b local/rel_3_5_3 origin/tags/rel_3_5_3
/path/to/make-db-upgrade -F orgin/tags/rel_3_0_13

There are other options that you can use depending on your situation,
but that is the most basic to get a functional db upgrade from version
3.0.13 to 3.5.3.

That will write out a file in the version-upgrade folder:

Open-ILS/src/sql/Pg/version-upgrade/3.0.13-3.5.3-upgrade-db.sql

I recommend that you commit this file to your local upgrade branch so
that you don't lose it.

NOTE: You will very likely have to modify this script before it will
work. When I make custom upgrade scripts for CW MARS, I always test them
on a copy of our production data in a separate database. When jumping
over very large versions like this, there are very often schema changes
that prevent later data updates from happening. These need to be split
up in to separate transactions. It's a matter of trial and error to get
it right. Having a separate database server where you can load dumps of
your production data is very helpful in that regard.

I hope this was helpful and the wall of text is not too overwhelming.

Good Luck,
Jason