[Evergreen-general] Time to move to a different IRC network?

Dan Wells dbw2 at calvin.edu
Fri May 28 09:39:17 EDT 2021

I think the Fraggles were right; humans are properly understood as silly creatures.

For my part, I do not see avoiding Libera.chat as "distance for distance's sake".  It is recognizing that both sides of this split are hyperventilating about something of very small significance, that being IRC infrastructure.  I've never given it 2 minutes of thought before this, and may not ever again.  It just doesn't matter that much.  Which network has the best chance of dissolving back into the background noise?  That's all I want.

Concerning who has the best "explicit values statement", again I say, small potatoes.  Has OFTC, or any of the other choices, ever shown any evidence of being discriminatory?  What would that even mean in the context of an IRC host?  It is a moot point, and it need not be elevated into some issue of prime importance.  Is this what life has been reduced to?  Is this as good as it gets?

Dan

Daniel Wells
Head of Technology Services
Hekman Library, Calvin University