[Evergreen-general] Scanned Logins for Staff

Frasur, Ruth RFrasur at library.IN.gov
Wed Jun 15 08:11:15 EDT 2022

This is a very good point.  I will pass that along to our library.

Ruth Frasur (she/they)
Coordinator - Evergreen Indiana Library Consortium and Evergreen Community Development Initiative
Indiana State Library
140 N. Senate Ave.
Indianapolis, IN 46204
(317) 232-3691

From: Evergreen-general <evergreen-general-bounces at list.evergreen-ils.org> On Behalf Of Daniel Wells via Evergreen-general
Sent: Tuesday, June 14, 2022 11:42 AM
To: Evergreen Discussion Group <evergreen-general at list.evergreen-ils.org>
Cc: Daniel Wells <dbwells at gmail.com>
Subject: Re: [Evergreen-general] Scanned Logins for Staff

**** This is an EXTERNAL email. Exercise caution. DO NOT open attachments or click links from unknown senders or unexpected email. ****
________________________________
Simplest solution is to use a barcode symbology that supports the common keyboard character set (aka ASCII).  Code-128 is well known and widely supported.  Then just use the barcode to "type" your normal credentials in.  For example:

https://barcode.tec-it.com/en/Code128?data=user%5Ctpass1234

If you check the "Evaluate escape sequences" box, then the "\t" in the middle should generate a "<TAB>" character to switch to the password field during the scan.  This particular case is untested, but I've done similar in the past.  You can also generate the "<ENTER>" at the end if needed, but many scanners will insert that anyway.  Try adding it if yours does not.

Please note that this should be considered a convenient but LOW SECURITY method of login.  Anyone with a barcode scanner and the ID can scan the barcode and see the credentials in plain text.  (Assuming you don't actually print the plaintext version under the barcode in the first place ;) )

Dan