[Evergreen-general] Planning the next EG Offline Interface

Terran McCanna tmccanna at georgialibraries.org
Fri Mar 11 10:46:23 EST 2022

My initial thoughts on a separate app:

Advantages:
 - A lot of staff tend to be confused by the concept of an offline web app
and find it easier to understand an installed program.
 - It would get around the need to load pages into cache before using it
for the first time, which staff don't usually understand.
 - It could potentially be installed from a flash drive to a computer that
is not connected to the internet.

Disadvantages:
 - Staff would need to install it and do upgrades on every machine.
 - It would be more difficult to locally customize and it would create a
separate product for the developers to maintain.

Questions:
 - How would it handle the workstation name? Would staff need to set it up
at first use? (Note that it would be useful for it to have a workstation
name that indicated that the offline app was used for each transaction so
we could identify offline transactions in reports/logs.)
 - Would the staff client still be able to tell if there were pending
offline transactions to upload? (Note that it would be nice to see this
alert once logged into the staff client as well as on the login page.)
 - Would this resolve the problem of not being able to download large
patron block lists? (PINES hasn't been able to download block lists at all
since moving to the web client.)

Terran McCanna, PINES Program Manager
------------------------------

Georgia Public Library Service | University System of Georgia

2872 Woodcock Blvd, Suite 250 l Atlanta, GA 30341

(404) 235-7138 | tmccanna at georgialibraries.org

http://help.georgialibraries.org | help at georgialibraries.org

<https://www.facebook.com/georgialibraries>
<https://www.twitter.com/georgialibs>
<https://www.instagram.com/georgialibraries/>
<https://www.twitter.com/georgialibs>

Join our email list <http://georgialibraries.org> for stories of Georgia
libraries making an impact in our communities.

On Fri, Mar 11, 2022 at 10:28 AM Bill Erickson via Evergreen-general <