[Evergreen-general] Planning the next EG Offline Interface

Jason Stephenson jason at sigio.com
Mon Mar 14 15:52:18 EDT 2022

Hi, Jeremy!

On 3/14/22 15:23, Miller, Jeremy via Evergreen-general wrote:
> Generally speaking, once a system is back up I want to do a little bit
> of testing first to be sure of the complete status of everything, before
> telling staff to go ahead.  Wouldn’t want clients auto-dumping
> transactions at it before I’ve confirmed we’re ready for that.
> (Thinking about upgrade-related outages, mostly.)

I don't know anything about your setup, but I have a trick for this. We
generally put up an alternate site during upgrades that says we're down
for maintenance. Since we use a load balancer for 6 server bricks, I'll
typically take one brick out of rotation, enable the Evergreen site on
it, and then set up a SOCKS proxy through the back up load balancer to
connect to just that brick. This way I can test a few things before
letting everyone else into Evergreen.

Hope that's useful.

Jason