[Evergreen-general] Evergreen 3.9 release schedule

Mike Rylander mrylander at gmail.com
Fri Mar 25 18:12:05 EDT 2022

Hello all!

First, let me thank everyone that participated in the Feedback Fest
for this release cycle, but especially Terran McCanna for her
(seemingly tireless) work both organizing the Fest and recording our
collective work.  Feedback Fest helped us stabilize a lot of
outstanding branches, both features and fixes, and helped identify
areas that need more attention.

By my count on master, we've merged 36 branches, with 83 commits in
total, since the start of Feedback Fest.  There are probably more
patches that only applied to rel_3_8 or before, as well.  That's a lot
of good work over the last two weeks, but I want to see if we can go
even bigger for 3.9.

Currently feature freeze scheduled for this coming Monday, March 28,
with the first beta to be cut on Wednesday.  I'd like to shift that by
two days for each, to Wednesday and Friday (morning) respectively, as
long as that won't cause too much pain to Bug Squashing Week server
builders.  The purpose of this is to give us a couple more days to get
new feature branches in before the cut-off.  There are several
Wishlist bugs that are currently both signed off and pull-requested,
and if any committers have the time to apply to the 3.9 effort, that
is where it would make the most impact at this stage of the release
cycle.

So here is my plea to all committers: if you can, please take some
time to look at the Wishlist LP bugs on the list linked below.  If
those are all committed or claimed via assignment, then others are
fair game, of course.  Please note, though, that we'll still have
about a month to address the non-feature branches, as well as new bugs
that may pop up, so let's focus on completed features that are waiting
in the wings.

As a suggestion when evaluating feature branches for merge, remember
that the staff client is in a time of flux so there may be branches
that have AngJS implementation but no Angular equivalent.  In that
case, please make sure that either the implementation is trivial (and
if so, in your judgment, feel free to add it with the merge) or it's
not yet possible because there is no Angular version of the interface.
If there is an Angular version but the implementation doesn't seem
trivial then it seems best to kick it back for later given our time
constraints.

https://bugs.launchpad.net/evergreen/+bugs?orderby=-heat&field.status%3Alist=NEW&field.status%3Alist=CONFIRMED&field.status%3Alist=TRIAGED&field.status%3Alist=INPROGRESS&field.status%3Alist=INCOMPLETE_WITH_RESPONSE&field.status%3Alist=INCOMPLETE_WITHOUT_RESPONSE&assignee_option=none&field.assignee=&field.bug_reporter=&field.bug_commenter=&field.subscriber=&field.structural_subscriber=&field.tag=signedoff&field.omit_dupes=on

Thanks, all, and have a great weekend!

--
Mike Rylander
Research and Development Manager