[Evergreen-general] How to make changes to eg_vhost.conf in the Docker container?

Jane Sandberg sandbergja at gmail.com
Fri Aug 11 08:25:26 EDT 2023

Hi Linda,

What tag of the Evergreen container are you using?  I believe that the
instructions under "Restarting Evergreen services" are only applicable to
the "dev" tag (i.e. if you ran `docker run
[...] mobiusoffice/evergreen-ils:dev`).  If you don't specify a tag, it
defaults to the "latest" tag, which doesn't contain the file-based
restart/recompile methods.

I typically use the non-dev tags, using the following steps to restart
apache.  Theoretically, they should work if you are using the dev tag too,
but I haven't tried them:

1. docker ps # this will show the name of the running container
2. docker exec -it [container_name] bash # this will provide a shell within
the running container.  For example, if step 1 had mentioned that the
running Evergreen container is named "peaceful_spence", it would be `docker
exec -it peaceful_spence bash`
3. apache2ctl restart # simply restarts apache. When I need to restart all
services, I use `ansible-playbook /egconfigs/evergreen_restart_services.yml
-e hosts="127.0.0.1"` instead.

Hope this helps,

   -Jane