[Evergreen-general] Ways to handle shelving location names?

Garry Collum gcollum at hotmail.com
Fri Aug 11 18:41:22 EDT 2023

We are a single system with 3 libraries and all of our shelving locations are at the system level, which lets us regulate them a bit more, but still we have 239 locations.  Every once in a while I will do a query to find those locations with very few items, and try to convince folks that we don’t need them.

We use jasper reports and a couple of years ago I got tired of revising multiple SQL queries every time we added a new location code, so I created a bunch of not visible shelving location groups that I named based on the State report categories.  I incorporated these groups into my reports, so all I have to do now is assign new locations to a group.  Of course, there’s still that issue with “Sunshine Superman” type locations.

Garry