[Evergreen-general] Changes in Chrome's handling of old tabs

Galen Charlton gmc at equinoxoli.org
Thu Feb 23 15:56:46 EST 2023

Hi,

I wanted to bring folks' attention to a change to the Chrome browser that
may affect staff workflows.

Specifically, the new "Memory Saver" will cause Chrome to deactivate unused
tabs that have been sitting a while (where, as far as I can tell, a "while"
could mean anywhere from five minutes to an hour). If you go back to one of
the deactivated tabs, Chrome will reload the page from scratch.

If that tab has the Evergreen staff client, while you'll still be logged in
when you open a deactivated tab, other state such as your place in a grid
will not carry over.

I can imagine that this could cause challenges for anybody who is used to a
workflow that involves opening several copies of the staff client in
multiple tabs. For example, if you're working from a large Record Bucket,
paging through it and doing something with each record, a lunch break might
make you lose your place in the bucket.

Chrome does offer an option to specify a list of sites that should not have
their tabs deactivated.

Additional details and commentary can be found here:

[1]
https://support.google.com/chrome/answer/12929150#zippy=%2Cturn-memory-saver-on-or-off%2Ckeep-specific-sites-active
[2]
https://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2023/02/chrome-110-will-automatically-discard-background-tabs-heres-how-to-stop-it/
[3] https://developer.chrome.com/blog/memory-and-energy-saver-mode/

Beyond that, I'd like to ask a question - how are you managing tabs when
using the staff client? Does anybody finish the day with dozens of
Evergreen tabs open?

Regards,

Galen
--