[Evergreen-general] How do you handle placing temporary ILL items on hold?

Jennifer Pringle jennifer.pringle at bc.libraries.coop
Tue Jan 3 11:18:35 EST 2023

Hi Benjamin,

For our libraries that want to be able to use Evergreen's automated
notifications for ILLs we recommend they use a set of brief records
with placeholder items that they rotate through (and keep in an item
bucket).  (Libraries that don't want to use the automated
notifications manually notify the patrons and then check the items out
as pre-cats when the patron comes in.)

We've come up with record requirements to make it easy for libraries
to identify when a bib record is a brief ILL record and what library
created it.

http://docs.libraries.coop/policy/_using_brief_marc_records_for_incoming_ill.html

The one issue we haven't found an easy solution for is fines.  If
libraries are entering the actual title of the item into the record
and then the patron gets fines the title will change in the billing
record if used for a future ILL.  Our current workarounds are to
either use a generic title for all the record "Interlibrary Loan" or
for staff to track ILL check ins and create manual bills where needed
to replace the automatic ones. (However a lot of our libraries are now
fine free which eliminates this issue for them.)

Hope this helps,

Jennifer

Quoting "Murphy, Benjamin via Evergreen-general"

--
Jennifer Pringle (she/her)
Co-op Support - Training Lead
Email:jennifer.pringle at bc.libraries.coop
Website: http://bc.libraries.coop

Gratefully acknowledging that I live and work in the unceded
Traditional Territory of the St'at'yemc Nations.