[Evergreen-general] Hold Policies: Transit Range & Range is from Owning Lib

Murphy, Benjamin Benjamin.Murphy at ncdcr.gov
Thu May 25 08:44:06 EDT 2023

Hello hivemind,

I'm trying to understand how exactly Transit Range & Range is from Owning Lib settings are meant to work in hold policies. I didn't find anything in the documentation about these settings.

Should any policy that's meant to be part of what allows things to resource share have a Transit Range = Consortium and local policies that provide system level access to non-resource sharing materials have a Transit Range = System?

How is Range is from Owning Lib meant to be used? Is it really only used for System or Branch limiting policies? Do you know of an example of when it might be used?

More detail on our typical configurations is it is helpful:

In general, we differentiate most of our hold policies by Pickup Lib. Our weights are:

User Perm = 18
Requestor Perm = 2
Circ Mod = 10
Pickup Lib = 10
Owning Lib = 10
User Home Lib = 8
Request Lib = 8

We have a few high level blocking policies by circ mod (things that don't resource share in the consortium) as well as a few high level allow policies for the circ mods that do resource share. Then individual library systems have allow policies for resource sharing and blocking policies for all sorts of materials generally defined by:

Pickup Lib = System
User Home Lib = Consortium
Request Lib = Consortium
Owning Lib = Consortium

We then also have local allow policies for non-resource sharing things available within the system level set up like:

Pickup Lib = System
User Home Lib = System
Request Lib = System
Owning Lib = System

Then branch specific policies are sort of case dependent and rare.

Benjamin Murphy
NC Cardinal Program Manager
State Library of North Carolina
benjamin.murphy at ncdcr.gov<mailto:benjamin.murphy at ncdcr.gov>  | https://statelibrary.ncdcr.gov/services-libraries/nc-cardinal
109 East Jones Street  | 4640 Mail Service Center
Raleigh, North Carolina 27699-4600
The State Library is part of the NC Department of Natural & Cultural Resources.
Email correspondence to and from this address is subject to the North Carolina Public Records Law and may be disclosed to third parties.