[Evergreen-general] Inconsistent White Screens with Hatch

Jeff Godin jgodin at tadl.org
Wed Nov 8 11:37:04 EST 2023

On Tue, Nov 7, 2023 at 1:50 PM Garry Collum via Evergreen-general <

> This came up with us today.  Try going into Chrome settings -> performance
> and turn off preload pages.

Hi, Garry!

I'm interested in digging into this more, and finding out what led you to
this setting as a potential fix. I'll probably ask questions on IRC shortly.

For those interested in adjusting this setting on managed devices, it does
appear to be subject to the NetworkPredictionOptions policy:
https://chromeenterprise.google/policies/#NetworkPredictionOptions

This should enable organizations to disable "Preload pages" via Group
Policy or Chrome Browser Cloud Management, if you make use of either of
those tools to manage your devices.

I have lightly tested to confirm that the NetworkPredictionOptions policy
does turn the "Preload pages" setting off in the Chrome settings UI and
prevents it from being enabled in the UI.

The policy is lightly documented, but documentation does state that it
turns off some other performance-related behaviors, such as DNS prefetching.

Usual disclaimers/advice applies: Please don't deploy this policy change in
your environment based only on my mentioning of it here, consider impacts
of setting and/or later removing the policy, test, etc.

-jeff