[Evergreen-general] [External] Staff training

Murphy, Benjamin Benjamin.Murphy at dncr.nc.gov
Tue Sep 19 14:55:41 EDT 2023

We've found that resource sharing is one of the most popular aspects of our consortium. We've had some systems that expressed hesitancy out of concern for the extra work, their materials not being on the shelves, being damaged/lost, etc. When patrons suddenly have access to so many more materials, and they start flowing in the door that tends to change minds. We make sure to emphasize the 6 month age hold protection, aka if you paid for it, your patrons get first dibs. But, on the other side of that getting value for your money coin, if you have a 25 book set of Western novels and one goes missing, there's all the other libraries someone can get it from so you don't have to spend your collection development money buying another one. We notice that outgoing traffic has pretty good polarity with incoming traffic, so small libraries send and receive less stuff.

A few things that come to mind...

Benjamin Murphy
NC Cardinal Program Manager
State Library of North Carolina
benjamin.murphy at dcnr.nc.gov<mailto:benjamin.murphy at ncdcr.gov>  | https://statelibrary.ncdcr.gov/services-libraries/nc-cardinal
109 East Jones Street  | 4640 Mail Service Center
Raleigh, North Carolina 27699-4600
The State Library is part of the NC Department of Natural & Cultural Resources.
Email correspondence to and from this address is subject to the North Carolina Public Records Law and may be disclosed to third parties.
Please note new email address