[Evergreen-general] Using Z39.50 to Import Authority Records

Szwagiel, Will william.szwagiel at dncr.nc.gov
Tue Feb 20 10:33:46 EST 2024

Good morning,

A member of our Cataloging Committee was inquiring about the possibility of using Z39.50 to import authority records in Evergreen.  It appears that the Library of Congress provides Z39.50 access to authority records, according to this FAQ:

https://authorities.loc.gov/help/auth-faq.htm#3

"5) Does the Library of Congress provide Z39.50 access to authority records?

Yes. Z39.50 access to authority records is available (database updated weekly). Information on configuring Z39.50 access to the Name Authority File and the Subject Authority File is available from the LC Z39.50 Server Configuration Guidelines<https://www.loc.gov/z3950/lcserver.html>."

That link takes you to the configuration guidelines here:

https://www.loc.gov/z3950/lcserver.html

However, while we know that we can add Z39.50 servers to Evergreen for bibliographic records, we are not sure about authority records.  Is this something that is possible in Evergreen?  And if so, have any of you done it (or are doing it)?  How has it worked out for you?

Another librarian mentioned that this impacts the access points for everything in the catalog.  Has this proven to be an issue for you in any way?

Thank you in advance for sharing any insight you might have.

William C. Szwagiel

NC Cardinal Project Manager

State Library of North Carolina

william.szwagiel at ncdcr.gov<mailto:william.szwagiel at ncdcr.gov> | 919.814.6721

https://statelibrary.ncdcr.gov/services-libraries/nc-cardinal

109 East Jones Street  | 4640 Mail Service Center

Raleigh, North Carolina 27699-4600

The State Library is part of the NC Department of Natural & Cultural Resources.

Email correspondence to and from this address is subject to the North Carolina Public Records Law and may be disclosed to third parties.