[Evergreen-general] Images from URLS in MARC records?

Josh Stompro stomproj at gsuite.larl.org
Wed Jan 3 15:10:25 EST 2024

If I was going to tackle this as a one off project, and wanted to make use
of existing functionality,  I would get a list of all the bibs and image
urls, and then make use of a bash script or regular expressions to download
all the images, name them with the bib id and save them in the proper place
on the server to be served up for each record.  Basically what the image
uploader does, just in batch.

There is a section in the documentation that describes how to do this in
general.
https://docs.evergreen-ils.org/docs/latest/admin_initial_setup/designing_your_catalog.html#_including_locally_hosted_content_in_your_public_interface

I'm not sure what the data looks like, so I'm not sure how you would get it
out.  Reporter, or SQL, or maybe even marc edit if you have the source marc
files.  This could be part of the process for adding new Kanopy bibs if you
don't have it automated.  And if you do have it automated, then maybe this
process could get added to the import process.

The data could look like this:
Bibid, small URL, Medium URL, Large URL
1234, http://kcdn.com/small.jpg, http://kcdn.com/medium.jpg,
http://kcdn.com/large.jpg

This could be done with regexes in notepad++ also, to turn the list into a
series of commands to grab the files and rename them. If you want to do
this on your local windows machine, you can use powershell which has a
built in wget command.

Find and Replace in notepad++ with the CSV data loaded:
data to build 3 different wget commands to grab each sized image.
Find: (\d+), (.*), (.*), (.*)
Replace: wget "\2" -outfile small/r/\1\nwget "\3" -outfile
medium/r/\1\nwget "\4" -outfile large/r/\1\n

Result:
wget "http://kcdn.com/small.jpg" -outfile small/r/1234
wget "http://kcdn.com/medium.jpg" -outfile medium/r/1234
wget "http://kcdn.com/large.jpg" -outfile large/r/1234

#Start Powershell
#Do this in your downloads folder and create the folders before running the
commands.
cd Downloads
mkdir kanopy-images
cd kanopy-images
mkdir small
mkdir small/r
mkdir medium
mkdir medium/r
mkdir large
mkdir large/r

wget "http://kcdn.com/small.jpg" -outfile small/r/1234
... 30000 more commands to download files.

Now you will have 3 directories with 10K images in each, named for the bib
id number.  You can zip those up, send them to your Evergreen server
administrator,  and ask that they be placed on the Evergreen server.

On the evergreen server the files need to be copied
to /openils/var/web/opac/extras/ac/jacket/small/r/ for the small images for
example.

Josh

On Wed, Jan 3, 2024 at 11:45 AM Mary Llewellyn via Evergreen-general <