[Evergreen-general] Sharing plans for changing library selector in Angular staff catalog

Galen Charlton gmc at equinoxoli.org
Tue Jan 23 10:13:25 EST 2024

Hi,

On Mon, Jan 22, 2024 at 5:57 PM Lussier, Kathy <klussier at noblenet.org>
wrote:
> It sounds like an option is in order then, and I'm now wondering
> if a global flag is appropriate or something that allows us to
> determine staff catalog visibility on an OU by OU basis.

Various options I see are.

[1] As Jason Stephenson suggested, adding a staff_visible column to
actor.org_unit. However, if this is intended to have similar semantics to
the opac_visible column - i.e., to suppress results from the staff catalog
_search results_ additional work would be needed for the search engine.
[2] Adding a "deleted" column to actor.org_unit to signify that the OU no
longer exists. Logical deletion would allow certain types of information to
be retained for historical reporting, but would require touching (at
minimum) all of the org unit selectors.
[3] Adding an "active" column to actor.org_unit. This would be
intentionally softer than a "deleted" column, with the idea being that if
an OU needs to be deleted, to go through the trouble of fully deleting it
from the database. This option would also require touching all of the org
unit selectors.
[4] If the concern is more about the visibility of the org unit in the
_catalog search form selector_, extending the custom OU tree mechanism.
Probably less effort.
[5] Adding a library setting (tied to the workstation) to list OUs that
should not be included in the selector. Also less effort, and might offer
some nice flexibility  - i.e., somebody at a branch just sees the active
OUs on the selector, while somebody at a central tech services office might
see everything.

As you can see, there's a wide range of effort among these options - and
semantics.

Regards,

Galen
--