[Evergreen-general] Sharing plans for changing library selector in Angular staff catalog

Tina Ji tina.ji at bc.libraries.coop
Tue Jan 23 11:39:43 EST 2024

On Mon, Jan 22, 2024 at 12:09 PM Lussier, Kathy via Evergreen-general <evergreen-general at list.evergreen-ils.org<mailto:evergreen-general at list.evergreen-ils.org>> wrote:
> #2 introduces new behavior that hasn't been used in previous staff
> catalogs. We could not think of a use case where an org unit
> should be invisible in the public catalog when performing a
> search, but should be visible in the staff catalog search. However,
>  if there is one, let us know so that we can add an option,
> most likely a global flag.

One of our library system does central cataloguing at its headquarter, which is not open to the public. It's OPAC invisible, but needed on the staff catalogue.

________________________________
About disused Org Units - even after a branch closes completely and all of the active materials and patrons have been moved off of it so we don't want it to appear in most dropdown lists, we sometimes still need to run reports on it. It would be nice to have the option in the reporter to include non-staff-visible branches. Maybe that is as simple as adding a new report source in the fieldmapper that can be used instead of the normal Org Unit source when desired?

On Mon, Jan 22, 2024 at 5:46 PM Galen Charlton via Evergreen-general <evergreen-general at list.evergreen-ils.org<mailto:evergreen-general at list.evergreen-ils.org>> wrote:
Hi,

On Mon, Jan 22, 2024 at 12:09 PM Lussier, Kathy via Evergreen-general <evergreen-general at list.evergreen-ils.org<mailto:evergreen-general at list.evergreen-ils.org>> wrote:
> #2 introduces new behavior that hasn't been used in previous staff
> catalogs. We could not think of a use case where an org unit
> should be invisible in the public catalog when performing a
> search, but should be visible in the staff catalog search. However,
>  if there is one, let us know so that we can add an option,
> most likely a global flag.

I can think of several:

- Library joining a consortium. Most any migration workflow I can imagine will result in a period of at least a few days, and sometimes longer, where an OU exists and has holdings attached to it but shouldn't be visible in the OPAC, but where staff nonetheless need to be able to do staff-side searches limited to that OU.
- Library opening a new branch with an opening day collection. This could lead to an even longer period where the OU exists but is not yet ready to be visible to patrons
- An explicitly hidden or resource collection

Does NOBLE have OUs that are completely disused?

Regards,

Galen
--
Galen Charlton