[Evergreen-governance-l] Governance Rules - Revised Draft

Watson, Sylvia sywatson at library.IN.gov
Tue Aug 31 14:02:55 EDT 2010

Group:

I read through all the comments and think I have addressed pretty much everything in the attached revised draft of the Evergreen Software Foundation Rules of Governance.  Admittedly, I am still somewhat confused on the general consensus of how membership and voting would be addressed. Please advise if the changes do not reflect the intent of the group's comments.  I clicked "Track Changes" so that everyone can locate the changes easily without re-reading the entire document.  Although the changes have been "tracked", I have also outlined most of them below:

*         Added a fiscal year provision

*         Oversight Board composition is modified to reflect that certain representation is preferred as opposed to required

*         Deleted the technology committee

*         Eliminated limits on how long a person can serve on the board

*         Changed the referendum request to require 2% of the registered members as opposed to 10% of the membership body

*         Changed the special meeting request to require 2% of the registered members as opposed to 10% of the membership body

*         Clarified that Oversight Board meetings and special membership meetings may be held electronically

*         Required notice of board meetings and Member meetings to be delivered via e-mail

*         Added a provision that provided that the Vice Chairperson will have first consideration for the office of the Chairperson in the election the following year of the two year period.  As a reminder, board terms are two years and officers on the board serve one year terms.  Because the two year terms are staggered, we cannot really mandate that the Vice Chair be the next Chairperson because the Vice Chair elected may only have that current year left to serve on the board.  Someone suggested changing board terms to one year periods.  I did not make this change because two-year terms are needed for the purpose of staggering board members.  I assume we want to set up board membership so that there will never be a year when the entire board could possibly be replaced.  Staggering the board promotes consistency and stability.  However, I will change this if people feel very strongly that board terms should be for one year.

*         Revised membership eligibility; procedures; added appeal procedures, etc. based on e-mail comments

*         Added option for incorporating dues

*         Clarified one vote per member; no voting by proxy; added in option for creating remote voting procedures

There was mention of possibly including two additional committees (reports & DIG), but I didn't know if those should be listed in the governance rules as standing committees.

Please advise of any further revisions needed.

Sylvia