[Evergreen-governance-l] FW: Governance Rules - Revised Draft

Galen Charlton gmc at esilibrary.com
Tue Aug 31 15:34:52 EDT 2010

Hi,

On Aug 31, 2010, at 2:55 PM, Watson, Sylvia wrote:
> Staggering the board terms is designed to keep some consistency on the board to protect against 100% turnover on the board at the same time.  While board members could be re-elected indefinitely, there is no guarantee that this will happen and my thoughts are that we should protect the Foundation against the possibility of 100% turnover all at once?  Again, we can change this if the consensus is that one year board terms and no staggering of board terms makes more sense.

I'm not opposed to staggered terms, but I don't believe them to be necessary, either.  The convention that the Vice Chair is the presumptive Chair Elect ensures some degree of continuity, and if something were to occur where the membership collectively wanted to replace the entire board ... it presumably would be for a very good reason.  In practice, I don't know of any library committees and organizations that have excessive turnover unless term limits are in effect.

Regards,

Galen
--
Galen Charlton