[Evergreen-governance-l] Updated Evergreen / Conservancyfiscalsponsorship agreement

Watson, Sylvia sywatson at library.IN.gov
Tue Dec 14 14:18:02 EST 2010

Below is sample alternative wording for Clause #6.  We can play around with this or Dan's version if people are still uncomfortable and still want the language tweaked.  I think Dan made a good point when he suggested that once the group agrees on governance rules, the governance document should also reiterate the fact that the "Representative" is merely communicating the wishes of the entire board, and that ultimate control lies with the board.  The language below is not exactly what I initially proposed due to Dan's concerns that my original suggested language might be misinterpreted.

"The Evergreen Oversight Board, the initial members of which are each a signatory hereto, shall represent the Project in its official communication with the Conservancy.  The Oversight Board will elect a single individual to serve as a communication liaison ("the Liaison") between the Conservancy and the Project and the Board shall notify the Conservancy promptly following the election of a new Liaison.  The Liaison will instruct the Conservancy on the Project's behalf, subject to the ultimate authority of the Oversight Board."

Also, note that I changed representative to the word "Liaison," which in itself means "somebody who coordinates communication between two or more people or groups" and further emphasizes the intent that the chosen person is not a unilateral decision maker for the group. - just an idea...

Sylvia

-----Original Message-----
From: evergreen-governance-l-bounces at list.georgialibraries.org [mailto:evergreen-governance-l-bounces at list.georgialibraries.org] On Behalf Of Watson, Sylvia
Sent: Tuesday, December 14, 2010 9:46 AM
To: evergreen-governance-l at list.georgialibraries.org; bkuhn at sfconservancy.org
Cc: evergreen-governance-l-bounces at list.georgialibraries.org
Subject: Re: [Evergreen-governance-l] Updated Evergreen / Conservancy fiscalsponsorship agreement

Dan said:

" Revamp of the "Representation of the Project in the Conservancy" clause, as follows (and please note the FIXMEs):

The Evergreen Oversight Board, each a signatory hereto, shall represent the Project in its official communication with the Conservancy. . . .

[FIXME: Conservancy points out that structured this way, the Oversight Board can never change composition without reopening this agreement.  This
rigidness in the Agreement is  probably not in the best interest of Conservancy nor Evergreen.]"

Could this be fixed by simply modifying the first sentence to read:

"The Evergreen Oversight Board, the initial members of which are each a signatory hereto, shall represent the Project in its official communication with the Conservancy."

With the revised language I am suggesting, there is the implication that membership on the board is fluid and not set at the present members.  Is this change in language enough to satisfy the Conservancy or are they set on having an established board member replacement process spelled out in the agreement?

If the Conservancy wants a board member replacement process outlined in the agreement, I wonder if the provision could be very general so that later down the line if it is determined that changes need to be made to the processes for electing board members; how to handle removal and resignations and filling mid-term vacancies; eligibility criteria for a seat on the board; etc., those processes could be modified by the appropriate Board and/or Evergreen Membership action without having to sign a new agreement with the Conservancy. If I recall, there were a few areas related to the board where the group failed to come to a consensus.  Additionally, there were those who supported the ability to make changes to the governance rules (which includes how board membership is handled) in the event that it later became evident that a different system would make more sense.

Sylvia