[Evergreen-governance-l] Proposed New Governance Changes

Sharp, Chris csharp at georgialibraries.org
Thu Oct 21 06:49:12 EDT 2010

Morning, all,

There are two points I'd like to make about this discussion.

1. I think that the most important function that the proposed Foundation can perform is to hold and protect Evergreen's intellectual property assets. Copyrights are currently held by many disparate stakeholders with very different goals, and in some (perhaps many) cases, the copyright to certain sections of the core code is unclear, or at least unmarked. Having a community-run, trusted third party with the sole goal of holding and protecting those assets in full would remove all actual and potential conflicts of interest and would probably go a long way to address the trust issues around Equinox's control of who may or may not commit core code.

2. On that last point, I think we're all (including Equinox) in agreement that the Evergreen project needs a more distributed volunteer (or at least user-agency-sponsored) developer base. It sounds like the Software Freedom Conservancy strongly agrees and probably would not have invited us to join were it not for the niche Evergreen fills. I think it might be beneficial to invite Bradley Kuhn (or another representative of the SFC) to one of our monthly calls to discover how joining the SFC would help us build a more diverse developer base and allay some of the concerns around these control issues.

Overall, I think if the Foundation has the sole (initial?) purpose of holding in common and protecting our community's assets as Dan suggests and Lori supports, the rest of the community's concerns, many of which are shared by PINES, could be addressed in other ways.

Chris

Chris Sharp
PINES Program Manager
Georgia Public Library Service