[Evergreen-governance-l] Proposed New Governance Changes

Watson, Sylvia sywatson at library.IN.gov
Thu Oct 21 09:53:35 EDT 2010

According to PCmag.com, a users group is "an organization of users of a specific hardware or software product. Members share experiences and ideas to improve their understanding and use of a particular product. User groups are often responsible for influencing vendors to modify or enhance their products."  Based on conversations in past meetings, it is my understanding that this is one of the many intended functions for the Foundation (at least originally).  That is not to say that others cannot independently create their own users group.  The Foundation would not have the power to prohibit that, nor do I imagine it would want to impose such a prohibition.

Sylvia

From: evergreen-governance-l-bounces at list.georgialibraries.org [mailto:evergreen-governance-l-bounces at list.georgialibraries.org] On Behalf Of Lori Bowen Ayre
Sent: Wednesday, October 20, 2010 5:11 PM
To: Corridan, Jim (ICPR)
Cc: evergreen-governance-l at list.georgialibraries.org
Subject: Re: [Evergreen-governance-l] Proposed New Governance Changes

Jim,

I don't think the Foundation membership should be seen as the User Group.  I envision many user groups sprouting up and the Foundation membership should play a supportive and coordinating role for all things Evergreen.  But I don't see it as the sole user group so I urge the "(Users Group" be removed from this statement:

Section 1.2 (b)             The purpose of the foundation is ...    serve as a resource and communication device for Evergreen users (Users Group)

I also recommend change this line:

The Communication and Marketing Committee will initiate and facilitate user group activities and forums

to this:

The Communication and Marketing Committee will support and coordinate user group activities and initiatives.

s.