[Evergreen-governance-l] FW: Be sure to do this

Amy Terlaga terlaga at biblio.org
Wed Sep 1 16:40:21 EDT 2010

Regarding this:

>> This is assuming we keep the members in charge of approving memberships,
an issue that I understand may not be resolved.

Galen writes:
>I am in favor of having members approve membership.
-------------------------

Okay, here's a potentially dumb question (and I'm not trying to crack wise
here; I'm just not familiar with how 501c3s come to be, only with merging
existing ones):

Here's my (possibly dumb) question:

If members have to approve new members, how do we get that first group of
members into membership?  Who has the authority?  Is there some tacit
understanding that at inception, the Board approves the first wave?  Do
members approve each other?

Does PINES become the first member and then they approve the next member and
then the two of them (like Adam and Eve - and here, I guess I am cracking a
little wise) approve the next and so on and so on?

And what came first?  The chicken or the egg?

=======================
Amy Terlaga
Assistant Director, User Services
Bibliomation