[Evergreen-governance-l] FW: Be sure to do this

Lori Bowen Ayre lori.ayre at galecia.com
Tue Sep 7 15:03:11 EDT 2010

Galen said:
 I would propose that the Nominating and Membership Development community be
tasked with checking the membership rules every two years and submitting a
list of inactive members, who will be dropped unless a member on the list
appeals.

I say:  YES!

Galen said:
I would say, though, that somebody who is actively serving on committees but
who isn't engaging in other forms of contribution is still contributing - we
all know that for the most part, committee work is often a thankless task,
so hanging on to people willing to do it is a good thing.

I say:  YES!

Galen said:
 The eligibility criteria establish (what I hope is) a non-controversial set
of initial members:

* Libraries and consortia running Evergreen in production
* Past EG conference site sponsors, if not already included
* People who have the commit bit for Evergreen and OpenSRF (past practice
has been to require that a developer establish a track record of good,
substantial patches before getting committer status)
* Current committers to the DIG repository
* Libraries not otherwise listed who have contributed resources to EG
development but who aren't in production with Evergreen yet; KCLS is an
obvious member in this category.
* Members of the EG governance committee - this overlaps with many of the
pools of people and institutions I've already mentioned; anybody who doesn't
already fall in the previous categories has contributed via fortitude, if
nothing else; more seriously, it would establish continuity from this
committee to the foundation.

A public announcement of this approach for seeding the membership, followed
by an immediate open membership period, would be sufficient transparency.
 Yes, the initial membership of the foundation would be self-selecting, but
how could it be otherwise?  The likeminded people have to gather first to
form a new organization.

I say: YES!

Lori Ayre