[Evergreen-governance-l] Conflict of Interest Guidelines.

Bradley M. Kuhn bkuhn at sfconservancy.org
Wed Jun 22 09:49:13 EDT 2011

Steve Wills wrote at 12:43 (EDT) on Tuesday:

> I want to recognize that conflicts arise from time to time and need to
> be dealth with.

I think this is an important issue to address.  I've seen in other
Conservancy projects various issues and concerns with regard to
conflicts. (For example, in many Conservancy projects, members of the
Oversight Committee also have businesses that profit from the codebase;
I think Evergreen has a similar situation.)

It's important that members of the Oversight Committee don't use their
position in a way to assist their for-profit businesses.  Having a
conflicts policy ahead-of-time is a good way to prevent this from
accidentally happening.

I am glad that Evergreen is thinking about this question ahead of time.
I've seen it cause trouble for other projects.  The projects have
generally been able to resolve the problem when it's come up, but
preparing in advance is always better.
--
Bradley M. Kuhn, Executive Director, Software Freedom Conservancy