[Evergreen-governance-l] Basic rules of governance draft

Galen Charlton gmc at esilibrary.com
Tue Mar 1 11:14:47 EST 2011

Hi Amy,

On Mar 1, 2011, at 10:45 AM, Amy Terlaga wrote:
> For the Officers section, was the reason why we stayed clear of making the
> Vice-Chair the Chair-Elect the fear that we wouldn't get someone to commit
> for that long (whatever the term length turns out to be)?   In my past
> experience on Boards, transitioning between Chairs can be made smoother with
> that setup in place.

You raised that question back in August, and it doesn't look like it ever got discussed, at least in email.  As far as I'm concerned, having the vice-chair be the chair elect is fine -- that's certainly a common pattern in many library organizations -- although it does imply that the term of the chair shouldn't be longer than a year or two, as otherwise we'd end up voting for the chair several years out.

However, I think that's for version 2.0 of the rules.  For the bootstrapping rules, let's not do this, as it would mean that both the initial chair and the second chair would be self-appointed (at least from the perspective of the rest of the Evergreen community).  Consequently, I amend my amendment to be the following:

"2.10 Transition to General Rules of Governance and General Elections

By the end of the 2012 Evergreen International Conference or 30 April 2012, whichever comes sooner, the Board will have promulgated rules of governance for this Board and the Evergreen Project to be presented for approval by the general membership of the Evergreen Project during the conference.  At that same time, the board will designate at least 1/3 of its seats to be filled by general election at the 2012 conference.  The board will also hold new elections for the board officers at that time."

In other words, with the 2012 elections the chair and vice-chair qua chair-elect would be elected fresh, regardless of how we select the officers for the transition board.

Regards,

Galen
--
Galen Charlton