[Evergreen-governance-l] Basic rules of governance draft

Lori Bowen Ayre lori.ayre at galecia.com
Tue Mar 1 19:56:50 EST 2011

I support Galen's amendment to his amendment:  all new officers as part of
the first member-elected board.

I also like the idea of having a separate membership agreement that can be
amended as needed (perhaps easier than the rules of governance) but I guess
what we're agreeing is that we don't need to figure that out right now.

Lori

On Tue, Mar 1, 2011 at 8:35 AM, Dan Scott <dan at coffeecode.net> wrote:

> On Tue, Mar 01, 2011 at 10:45:20AM -0500, Amy Terlaga wrote:
> > I think Galen's amendment is a very good idea.  I know that that was your
> > general intent, Dan, but to state it explicitly right within the rules of
> > governance seems like the way to go so that there isn't any
> > misunderstanding.
>
> Yep, I support both of Galen's amendments; I didn't respond immediately
> because I was hoping for more people to weigh in (and thanks!). For the
> "Transition" amendment, it just means that when we do achieve that
> milestone that we'll have to amend the Rules of Governance again to
> remove that clause, as it will no longer be pertinent, but that
> shouldn't be a problem - just a housekeeping detail.
>
> > I'm still reviewing it (and was about to make some suggestions then
> realized
> > that what we're aiming for here is a basic structure that will be fleshed
> > out later) - may have some comments after I've reviewed some more to make
> > sure there's enough there to proceed without running into any significant
> > gray area.
> >
> > Oh, and since it's on my mind, I'm still hoping to work membership dues
> in
> > at some point (won't be here - that's one topic that will bog us down
> again,
> > I know)
>
> Are you looking at adding the membership dues structure to the rules of
> governance themselves? I have seen other governance documents (for
> example, the Eclipse Foundation, which is an organization I have
> participated in in the past) which separates the membership dues into a
> separate document: "Each Member will pay dues as set forth in the
> Membership Agreement, as amended from time-to-time by the Board." I
> would recommend making the membership structure / fees / election
> procedures part of the Rules of Governance 2.0 process as suggested in
> Galen's amendment.
>
> > For the Officers section, was the reason why we stayed clear of making
> the
> > Vice-Chair the Chair-Elect the fear that we wouldn't get someone to
> commit
> > for that long (whatever the term length turns out to be)?   In my past
> > experience on Boards, transitioning between Chairs can be made smoother
> with
> > that setup in place.
>
> I have experienced that setup in other organizations, and have also
> participated in successfully run organizations in which all of the
> positions elected each term. I'm somewhat reluctant to go with the
> automatic vice-to-chair transition approach out of the gate because it
> seems premature to appoint someone for a position of leadership two (or
> more, if you're suggesting that we might adopt something more than a
> one-year term for officers) years down the road, when they haven't
> proven their leadership abilities within the project or been elected to
> [...]

Lori Bowen Ayre // Library Technology Consultant
The Galecia Group // www.galecia.com
(707) 763-6869 // Lori.Ayre at galecia.com

<Lori.Ayre at galecia.com>Specializing in open source ILS solutions, RFID,
filtering,
workflow optimization, and materials handling