[Evergreen-governance-l] Basic rules of governance draft

Dan Scott dan at coffeecode.net
Wed Mar 2 12:23:25 EST 2011

On Wed, Mar 02, 2011 at 12:06:53PM -0500, Steve Wills wrote:
> Will some of the folks who have served on more non-profit boards than I have help me with section 2.7?
>
> Is it common for ethics and conflicts of interested parties to be exclusively self-governed?   I am wondering if there should be a section (b) that describes how other board members, say three of them, might be able to assert an need for conflict resolution.  From what I have been reading, the IRS 990 asks if such a policy exists but it is unclear if it is required or just a good idea.

This might be my minimalist perspective, but 2.4.c says: "Board officers
may be removed from office by an affirmative majority vote of the Board
at any time it is deemed to be in the best interest of the
organization." which in my opinion is a pretty effective check against
any one board member acting in a manner that conflicts with 2.7.