[Evergreen-governance-l] ***SPAM*** Labor dispute clause

Michele Montague mmontague at grpl.org
Tue Jan 17 17:49:40 EST 2012

While we're talking about a harassment clause, do we need to think about
labor disputes at venues?

ALA (and others) have experienced problems with conference attendees not
wanting (or in some cases, not allowed by their affiliations) to cross
picket lines at hotels.  The sheer scale of their events made this a
prominent problem.  Their solution was a resolution that ALA would, "...
to the extent known ... inform attendees ... if a hotel is on the 'Do
Not Patronize' list of the local labor body..."

A more radical option is to include a labor dispute clause in contracts
signed with conference hotels.  I think this would be overkill for us.
(Sample clause:
http://www.hotelworkersrising.org/media/modelprotectivelanguage.pdf)

Nevertheless, Jim Kuhn of ALA notes, "Hotels sign many contracts with
associations and unions that require the original contract to be amended
or canceled in the event of a labor dispute (e.g. American Public Health
Association; National Communication Association; the Organization for
American Historians; the American Studies Association; the American
Heart Association; the American Association of University Professors;
the Association of American Geographers; and the American Political
Science Association).  These associations and unions cannot hold events
at hotels if there is an actual or threatened labor dispute during the
meeting.

Any thoughts or experiences out there on this?