[evergreen-outreach] annual report printing

Rogan Hamby rogan.hamby at gmail.com
Tue Nov 14 07:39:08 EST 2017

Good morning,

There has been a little discussion off list about printing of the annual
report.  Last year we printed 250 saddle stitched trimmed to bleed with a
cover at 8.25x 5.75 with 100# gloss at full color.  Terri, at Equinox, was
kind enough to get me an updated quote for this year from the same printer
we used last year and an estimate for increasing the book size.  The reason
for the increase in the book size is that there have been questions about
increasing the font size of the report without decreasing the amount of
content.  The only way to do that is to increase the paper size.

A new printing at last year's specifications is $985.55

Increasing the paper size to 8.5 x 6 (which is a very small increase) jumps
to $1,228.60.  The cost has to be considered of course but it's not my
greatest concern.

While I'm very sympathetic to the access issues it's necessary to point out
that we have attempted to keep labor time under some constraints by reusing
the same basic layout.  Print layout software isn't quite like responsive
web design and you can't just tell it a new paper size and have everything
re-adjust.  If we do go the route of a new paper size we need to finalize
this very soon and it will be a great deal of labor to implement.

Just to make it clear I am _not_ in favor of doing this.  We produce a web
friendly PDF so that it can easily be scaled and a limited print run for
the conference.  We can certainly increase font sizes an average 25% but I
don't think it will make for an attractive product.  However, I would much
rather do that than change the printed format of the report.