[evergreen-outreach] Update on annual survey

Kathy Lussier klussier at masslnc.org
Tue Jan 2 12:20:50 EST 2018

Hi all,

Sorry for the late response, but it turns out I did a great job of
staying away from e-mail while I was on vacation.

> Kathy.   I've used Google forms in the past, with good success (as
> long as you don't mind Google owning your stuff ......)
Given that we are not collecting personal information here, I'm not as
concerned about Google owning it as I might otherwise be.

> I presume you'd send this out to each of the known consortia as an
> email link?

We generally send this out to the Evergreen general list, post it to the
blog, and also share it via Facebook/Google+/Twitter. Previously, after
we've sent out reminders and notice that known libraries/consortia are
missing from the survey results, we contact these groups individually to
try to get their information. There are always several
libraries/consortia that don't respond and, in those cases, we fill in
known information so that there numbers can be counted. We generally can
get a good idea of the number of systems/branches by looking at their
public catalog, but we have no way of knowing what their user population
is or their number of registered patrons. In the end, the results
included in the annual report end up being a best estimate.

When we do this again next year, since we will have the previous year's
results and the 'edit' link, we will send the link to the e-mail address
that was used the previous year.

> Before doing this, would edits be considered?
Once a user submits their information, they will receive a link via
e-mail that will allow them to edit their response.
> I think my only other comment would be that, in order for someone to
> be able to edit their responses, they have to create a Google ID.
> This probably isn't an issue for most, but might be for some.

Actually, I did some testing on this when I was setting up the form. You
do not need to be logged in with a Google account to edit the response.
The unique URL is what allows the user to edit the form data. I was
surprised too.

I'll send the survey out to the community today so that we can get
started on collecting this information.

Thanks!
Kathy

--