[Evergreen-web-team] Participation Guidelines for Evergreen Communication Channels -- draft

Lori Bowen Ayre lori.ayre at galecia.com
Fri Dec 2 15:56:32 EST 2011

Hi All

We got some feedback from the folks participating on the IRC Community
Meeting today.  Based on that feedback, I'm proposing the following
modified guidelines:

Participation Guidelines for Evergreen Communication Channels.****

** **

**·         **Ask *questions of general interest* to the community  or to a
specific  group on one of the Evergreen mailing
lists<http://www.evergreen-ils.org/listserv.php>.
*If your question is more specific*, like “I’m installing this and I have a
particular error message,”  try asking your question on the IRC
channel<http://www.evergreen-ils.org/irc.php>.
 Always make a point of reporting back to the mailing lists when you've
gotten answers to your questions off-list.**

**·         **The IRC channel <http://www.evergreen-ils.org/irc.php> is a
synchronous channel where people are logged in and available for asking
questions.  Sometimes the channel is very quiet. Other times it is very
busy like when a *community meeting *is being held.    If there’s a
community meeting in progress, please refrain from comments unrelated to
the meeting topic at hand until the meeting is over. .

**·         **Add *events of general interest to the community* on the
*Evergreen
calendar <http://www.evergreen-ils.org/dokuwiki/doku.php?id=calendar:start>*,
especially any meetings that are going to use the IRC channel.****

**·         ***Propose ideas and ask for feedback* on one of the Evergreen
mailing lists <http://www.evergreen-ils.org/listserv.php>.    Some
proposals may ask for feedback by a certain date, and if there’s no
objections, the proposed solution will move forward.****

**·         **Use the general mailing
list<http://www.evergreen-ils.org/listserv.php>
 to *announce events* of general interest to the community or to the group
that subscribes to the list.      If there’s more of a story consider a blog
posting <http://evergreen-ils.org/blog/>.   Or, you may participate in one
of the Evergreen related blogs that are aggregated at Planet
Evergreen<http://planet.evergreen-ils.org/>.
Or, start your own blog!****

**·         **Use the Evergreen
Launchpad<https://bugs.launchpad.net/evergreen> to
post *bugs*. ****

**·         **Post information about *committees and working groups* meeting
notes and other working documents on the
Wiki<http://www.evergreen-ils.org/dokuwiki/doku.php?id=faqs:evergreen_committees>
****

**·         **Use the Evergreen
Wiki<http://www.evergreen-ils.org/dokuwiki/doku.php?id=faqs:evergreen_committees>
post *member contributed documentation* of all kinds****

**·          Use the * *Evergreen mailing
lists<http://www.evergreen-ils.org/listserv.php> to
share *details about a development project *you are pursuing or to provide
updates on a development project in progress.  **