[Evergreen-web-team] General intro and BEYOND!

Lori Bowen Ayre lori.ayre at galecia.com
Wed Jun 8 13:07:33 EDT 2011

Hi All,

I like what Bob has started here (see his message below for context).  I
think I could see this as a jumping off point for (as you say) a gentle
onramp to Evergreen (or Evergreen 101).  I might tweak some things a bit but
I assume that you (Bob) are open to additional contributors/editors and not
envisioning this as 'your' piece.

One question about the accuracy of one of the statements in the piece: that
all but one installation are in the US or Canada.  The Google map shows
installations the Republic of Georgia, Tasmania, Australia, and the
Netherlands.  And there's also Armenia, not on the Google map.  So, maybe
some clarification or correction needed there.

And now to the Web Team Hit Squad...reading Bob's text and thinking how it
could be put to use right away caused me to look at the FAQ page because
lots of this info is also in the FAQ page.  As I looked it over, I realized
that page (FAQ) could use some attention.  One thing is that it is written
in the voice of the PINES folks (why did you create this software....so that
sort of thing should be addressed).  I'd also like to see it displayed in a
way that is easier to jump to the FAQ that interests you instead of having
all that content to scroll through.  Move the TOC from the far right into
the body perhaps?

Jim, you proposed a site architecture here:
http://www.evergreen-ils.org/dokuwiki/lib/exe/fetch.php?media=webteam:eg_sitemap_proposed_20110509.pdf
and
I'm wondering if we should try to move in that direction to the extent we
can with existing content.

Jason and Anoop, I'd love to get your take on that idea.  I'm not talking
about a full blown cutover to Jim's proposed site architecture but just to
use this is a guide that makes sense.  I'm also open to modifying said
guide.

I think it would be nice to have a site architecture in mind as we move
incrementally forward since we now have a good handle on what we'll need
eventually.  So, I'd like to propose we tentatively agree on this or another
site architecture so we don't keep having to have the same discussions
repeatedly about what should go where. We could even share the site
architecture we are working toward with the larger community.  It might spur
some interest in developing some of the content we need.

Lori

P.S. I copied in the larger Web Team on this so invite your thoughts.