[Evergreen-web-team] Proposed changes to the Frequently Anticipated Questions page

Ben Shum ben at evergreener.net
Thu Jun 13 08:21:17 EDT 2019

I'm very wary of keeping mentions of Fedora anywhere. While community devs
do play with it from time to time and chat about its setup in IRC, etc., 1)
we removed it officially from all the install READMEs specifically because
we do not actively maintain support, 2) Fedora's support cycle for their
releases is far shorter than Evergreen's, so it has been difficult to keep
in sync, and 3) as is, Fedora dependencies have not been fully updated in
many years and it cannot work out of the box on any release today without
serious changes that are not documented anywhere I know (yet).

For the purpose of FAQ, I'd stick to the real supported distros that do
install and are being actively maintained by the community, aka Debian and
Ubuntu.

Just my two cents suggestion.

-- Ben

On Thu, Jun 13, 2019 at 6:51 AM Rogan Hamby <rhamby at equinoxinitiative.org>
wrote:

> Replies in blue.
>

> On Wed, Jun 12, 2019 at 8:10 PM Jane Sandberg <sandbej at linnbenton.edu>
> wrote:
>
>> Hi Rogan, Evergreen Web Team,
>>
>> I noticed some out of date info on this page:
>> https://evergreen-ils.org/frequently-anticipated-questions/
>>

> I'm wracking my brain to remember who put that together.  It was a
> collaborative effort is all I clearly recall.  And editing the part about
> the logo.  :)
> Regardless, it could undoubtedly benefit from a review at this point.
>

>> Any objections to me making the following improvements?
>>
>> Under #4: change Z.3950 to Z39.50
>>

> Seems like a no brainer to me, go for it.
>

>> Under #4: add Obalkyknih.cz to list of added content providers
>>

> Go for it.
>

>> Under #5: I don't believe Fedora is officially supported
>>

> It is actively used however and I've seen those asking about it in IRC
> channel get feedback on setting it up.  A re-phrasing is probably
> appropriate along the lines of "debian and ubuntu are officially supported,
> fedora is also used by some of the community."  We don't need to echo the
> release notes since it's a FAQ here, IMO so long as we're clear what the
> answer to the asked question should be.
>

>> Under #5: Change "Once installed, Evergreen serves web pages for
>> patron interfaces. For staff interfaces, there is a separate client
>> program that needs to be installed on staff workstations, though in
>> the long run Evergreen is moving toward web-based interfaces for staff
>> as well. A Windows build of the staff client is available on the
>> Downloads page. Mac and Linux builds are possible, but you’ll need to
>> ask around for those or build them yourself (see FAQ #2), as they’re
>> not built for every release" to "Once installed, Evergreen serves web
>> pages for patron and staff interfaces."
>>

> FWIW, I think the intent of that section to point out that it's a web
> server is .... odd.  A non-techie won't care and it will be obvious to a
> techie there has to be an HTML serving component.  I think it just say
> something to the effect of the staff client is web based and does not
> require a separate application to be installed.  Mention hatch as optional
> and what it does since that is a thing now.
>

>> Thanks for your feedback,
>>
>>   -Jane
>>

> +1 to the doc getting a refresh

Benjamin Shum